Creation of a website was fairly an organic process during the early days of search engines. You listed keywords that matched according to the content of your site, you made sure that your pages could easily be accessible by different search bots, your practice was to keep things as simple as possible and hoped for the best.
Now a days, each and every person searches on Google. Basically, it means that you ought to be investing a huge amount of time in thinking rigorously about how to be rated on Google. In broad terms, this means you need to do search engine optimization.
In order to get a higher ranking most of the web owners discovered few unethical tricks so as to manipulate these search engines. This unethical manipulation was possible in those days because the search engine algorithms were quiet transparent and it was easy to fool them.
But, search engines started to fight back particularly Google with the help of specific algorithms, penalties as well as filters to halt spammy sites from being indexed. Due to this, it became harder and harder to apply so called black hat techniques. Hence, your website will be penalized if search engines discover that your site is using spam techniques for higher ranking.
Below mentioned are a few bad SEO practices which should be avoided:-
• Keyword stuffing – if the keyword density is artificially inflated, then this is keyword stuffing. In simple words, if you place your keywords too close to each other on a certain page then in that case the content will be unreadable for the human eye.
• Keyword dilution – placing too many keywords in your title, page headers, sub-headers, filename and on the same page ( many repeating times) then this is called keyword dilution.
• Duplicated content – if you are using the same content on several other pages of your website, then this thing will not make your site look larger as the duplicate content penalty kicks in.
• Usage of illegal content – in case you are using other people’s copyrighted content without their permission, then simply stop it! This can ban your site from the search engines.
• Blocking internet archive – often spammers block archive.org from searching or storing their pages which is a potential spam indication to search engines.
• Dynamic URL’S – a dynamic URL is one which is generated by the software that you are using for your website. These have long names along with lots of code and special characters which are difficult to crawl. Crawlers prefer static URL which includes one or two keywords in the filename that is directly related to the topic of that page.